Thank God for Jesus and Therapy

This morning as i logged onto (let's be honest) opened Instagram, I visited THE SHADE ROOM's page and I saw their post encouraging their followers to tag someone who has inspired them. I joined the challenge and tagged the fabulous Jenifer Lewis of stage and screen. Today she is known as Ruby Johnson on ABC's hit comedy, "Black-ish." To say she is amazing would be an understatement and to say I am fan of her work would be putting it mild. She has chronicled her life in a beautiful memoir titled, "The Black Mother of Hollywood."  In it, she shares her battle with mental illness. I highly recommend this book. She wrote about going to therapy for years and putting in the work. She has written unashamedly about her bi-polar disorder because as she stated, she has "put in the work."

 So that is how my day started, feeling thankful and giving thanks. No sooner had a walked to my kitchen to fix myself some breakfast, did I receive an alert that fashion designer Kate Spade had taken her life. I stopped where I was in the kitchen, bowl in hand, shocked. There I was with 2 extremes. One woman who I admired sharing her truths about overcoming mental illness and another one succumbing to the grips of it. I have been a fan of  Kate Spade's delightful and cheery brand for years. I loved her style, I loved her work ethic, and I especially loved her quotes. To me she could do no wrong. To me she will forever be young, beautiful and free.

Her passing means something different to everyone. For me it signify s the gratitude I feel to have  sought help for anxiety. Two years ago, I grappled with going to nursing school or pursing my purpose. At that time, I felt that I had already invested in getting my associated degree in science and I didn't want to waste all of my hard work for nothing. Did you see that part? For nothing. I was afraid to stand in my truth because I thought, "what if I have nothing to show for it." Thank God I've been set free from this destructive way of thinking. My life is not nothing.

Two years ago though, I felt trapped. I was afraid to make the wrong decision. Once I made the decision to go to therapy, my life changed. I still had tough decisions to make, but the fear of failing was gone. And it's still gone today. My life changed overnight. Results are different for everyone, but after that first session, something became very clear:there is a purpose and a plan for my life. I knew this already, but the problem with anxiety is it robs you of enjoying the journey of discovering exactly what that means for you.

I am a seeker of God, I read His word and I fellowship with his people. and yet I still went to therapy. And I still go to therapy. Our sessions are very different now because the anxiety has diminished so greatly, but I love going nonetheless. Now I go once a month. I love it and highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

We can't walk out this life alone. We need friends. We need family. And some of us need therapists, lol! And if you do need therapy, there is no shame in that.
I am not who was two years ago. I have grabbed a hold to the purpose God has for me and I am living it boo! Once I let go of the fear of what others would think or say I became unstoppable. Why do we hold the opinions of others so high? 2018 is not over, its not even half over so make use of your time left in this year and as Jenifer Lewis would say, "put in the work."

Comments

Popular Posts