Yo soy libre!

Last year for my birthday, I wanted to do something special. It was a rough year for several reasons and I felt the Lord drawing me to place of renewed dependence upon him like never before.  I wanted to re-dedicate my heart and life to the Lord. I know that my salvation was secure, but I wanted to acknowledge that I had not always acted (and reacted) as I should. What better way to mark this occasion than on my birthday? Of course this something you can at home, in your car, wherever. This was a personal desire to make it officially official.
I wanted this moment of renewed consecration to be somewhere different. On my birthday trip to Austin, my plan was to go to a specific place and say what I needed to say. I wanted to speak back to him what he had spoken to me and I didn’t want to do this in a familiar or common place. I wanted to lay  down every burden, every issue, and start over. So the day comes, I get to the spot, look around and what do I see???   Tourists.  Lots and lots of tourists. Since I didn’t want to get committed to a mental hospital in Austin during my birthday getaway weekend, I located the least noisiest spot and poured my heart into my journal. It was a beautiful moment. There was a gentle breeze as the sun was set, but this was not the moment.  Nevertheless, the trip wasn’t a waste. I ate some awesome tacos,  did a lot thrift store shopping and God confirmed the end the of a relationship. I left that place content, but not satisfied.  I returned home to Houston the next night, restless.  I thought to myself, there is something that must be said and it must be said out loud. Not just in my heart,but as a declaration.


Does that make any sense? Are y'all still with me?  
I thought to myself that since I have the rental car for one more day, I should make full use of it. Early the next morning, at 6 a.m., I woke up and drove to Galveston. Although I was tired from my drive back from Austin, my excitement got me out of the apartment in 2 minutes. I didn’t want to tell anyone until afterwards in case I changed my mind at the last minute. I knew some people would say "Why do you have to go all the way there?" OK, let me stay focused. So, its 6 a.m. I woke up, put on my favorite dress, a necklace my friend had just given me for my birthday and ran for the door. The drive to Galveston was smooth and traffic free, but my heart was racing faster and faster as each mile brought me closer to the water. I arrived and found a nearly empty beach. The weather was beautiful and I found the perfect spot. I was able to say everything I wanted to say.  There no one close enough to hear as I poured out my heart before the Lord. It was one the most incredible experiences of my life. Afterwards, I frolicked in the water like a kid, truly free. For those unfamiliar with the  water in Galveston, it is historically famous for being gross and dirty. But to me on that Sunday morning last August,  it was as pure as any Bahamian beach I had laid on. I will never forget that day. Over the last year I have only shared this story with 3 close friends. Every story is not for everyone every time. Some take time to share.
Spending time with God is not about fulfilling a religious duty but about building a relationship. God is relational. How do we truly get to know each other but by hanging out and spending time together? He is no different. Otherwise you just know about the person, not know them  personally for yourself. When there is something in your heart, seek God. He won't fit in a box, so don't try to stuff him in one. He pursues us with his love and if we pursue him back, he will not disappoint us. Switch things up in your devotionals. Go to a cafĂ©, find a table in quiet corner, and open your word. When something speaks to you, write it down so you don't forget it and include how you can apply that verse to your life. Who knows who may be watching you. The very sight of you reading the Word could encourage someone in their own journey. Go on a walk around the block with out a phone(gasp!) or any distracting device and open up to him. You will be surprised that you can actually survive 30 minutes without that radiation brick glued to your ear. Also, people will hear you talking to yourself and leave you alone! Before you know it, you will see a trend forming; as you speak to God, he will speak back to you.



Comments

Popular Posts