The Courage to Begin

Midpoint

35 is the midpoint between 20 and 50. You’re not quite as stupid as when you were young and you’re not quite old. Young and old are relative terms. There is no true, definitive time and date when one ends and the other begins. In my early 20's I often would meet up with friends and eat dinner after 9 P.M., staying up all night having a blast and then head straight to work the next morning without skipping a beat. Fast forward a few years and the complete opposite has happened. I am on my way to growing old. I now require a minimum of 6 full hours of sleep each evening, (also when you are old nights become evenings)and 1 1/2 cups of coffee. The 1/2 would actually be 2 cups but since I am almost always running late, I have to leave it on the counter as I run frantically towards my front door with my car keys in one hand and my shoes, hopefully matching, in the other. The day that I recognize that all this coffee is not truly waking me up or giving me enough energy to sustain me through out the day without at least two refills is the day that my precious youth is officially gone, never to return and soon will only be a distant memory. That day when I switch over to decaf, and while I’m at it low fat almond milk, that is the day I will be old. That will be saddest day of my life.


My body with its random aches, pains, knots and twitches feels so old. Yet in my mind and in my heart I feel young, 16 even. My round, unlined face looks at most,25. Some have even said 19!My body well, Its fat. When people meet me, they address me as young lady or sweetheart. I am at a midpoint in my life. But for now I take a final swig of my organically grown Guatemalan brew that was fairly traded along with two aspirin and make a mad dash for the door. Did I even have time to put on makeup? It doesn’t matter because I have the face of a 19 year old.

Comments

Popular Posts