Don't Give Up On Love

For several years growing up, my dad worked overnight. One night before he left the house, for some reason I asked him to bring me home nachos for breakfast. He quickly agreed and left the house. As I watched him drive away I thought, did he hear me?
I have asked for and he has agreed to feed me nachos for breakfast.
 Needless to say, I was so excited that I couldn't sleep.Nachos for breakfast! Surely I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I stayed up the whole night, reading( I read a lot as a child), watching TV, even talking to my mom. I have to point out that she was several months pregnant with B and didn't sleep much at night, but I also like to  think she was excited for me. My only thought was my dad is bringing me nachos for breakfast. The hours slowly passed until I heard my dad pulling into the driveway. When I met him at the door I'm not sure who was more confused at that moment: My dad wondering why I was up so early or my disappointment that his hands were empty. Clearly he had forgotten. My mom came downstairs and explained to him that I had been up all night waiting for his return. My dad looked at me and said, lets go get nachos. My father was the hardest working man I have ever known. He was creative and passionate and just a cool guy. Obviously, he was also unconventional for feeding me nachos for breakfast but this was a once in a childhood special event. I will never forget  the pure joy I felt riding in the front seat of our Buick between my parents holding on to  a to-go container full of nachos just for me. I was seven years old and that was the greatest moment of my life. So much of who I am is because of who he was.


Love is beautiful and rich and deep. Love is powerful enough to break down fortified walls and gates made of brass and iron. Its refreshing enough to breathe new life into dried bones and reverse hardenen hearts into soft tender ones. I'm not ashamed to say that I need more of it. With unconverted minds, it can appear that love is elusive or exclusive but, look closer. Love is not like a vapor, a shadow, a fog. Its permanent, forever in existence. Its a choice whether to receive or give. Choose wisely.

All I can do now is write about Love, its all I think about, all I talk about. I can't even escape it in my dreams. I want to be made perfect in Love.  I want to give out what I have been given. Full of hope and ready, willing and able to love. Its really all about Him after all, is it not? Not him but Him. The lack of evidence in our day to day lives can be heartbreaking. Love will not disappoint or put you to shame.

 Love is found on the second floor patio of that Thai place you love to go with your best friend and eat Panang Chicken. Its found when a friend calls you out of the blue to encourage you to keep moving forward. Love is found beside your bed in the middle of the night, shirt wet with tears as He tells you no, I have something else for you.

Don't give up on Love.

As some of you know, I write short stories. Fiction is safe. There is plenty of room to hide behind characters, plot and setting.Writing a blog is very different. It takes a lot of energy to tell private truths about yourself. I write every single day and yet I have only posted 5 times in 6 months. Please be patient with me.There is a lot that gets edited and reworded and changed ,deleted and re-edited again until I just go for it and hit Publish. I share what is on my heart, nothing more nothing less.

Comments

  1. Beautiful story about your dad!

    This post is inspiring and encourages me that while I look forward to, and hope for romantic love, not to take all the love I do have from others for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ifeoma, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes what we are asking for is already there. We simply need to open our eyes. This story is my favorite because it explains a lot about who I am today. Ask for what is on your heart, even if it sounds crazy. Ask anyway, and believe.

      Delete
  2. What a profound, heartwarming and beautiful analogy of the Father's unconditional love for us. What drew my heart to The Lord was His love for me and seeing the power of that love transform the unloveable to the love able. Your well crafted words demonstrate that so well. Thanks for sharing. Keep writing - my favorite one so far ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simbo, I love your well crafted words as well. Sometimes we don't even realize that God has answered our prayer because the answer doesn't look how we expected it to look. It would have been a different story had my father come home that morning with the nachos. What made it special was that he was not content to leave me disappointed.

      Delete
  3. I love this post. It reminds me that Love does not have to come in huge packages. It is not just a word to be said but is always demonstrated, whether by God, friends, or family. It is a vivid picture of the anticipation we have when we ask God our Father for something, knowing that He is faithful. I look foward to the opportunities to give and receive Love, even as I wait for my "nachos" (romantic love).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts